PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me?

MidnightBlue
11-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I have no idea what's wrong with my computer. The last few weeks the monitor would zap/flicker occassionaly. It was an older, bulkier monitor, and I've been wanting to upgrade soon, but with school, I hadn't gotten around to it yet. The day before yesterday I when woke up, there was nothing -- the screen was black, even though the rest of the computer booted up just fine with all the Windows XP pro sound effects and such. I tried restarting in safe mode, and nothing again.

Assuming my monitor was dead, I dragged out a much older, smaller monitor I had in storage. When I booted everything up, there was nothing but an orange streak across the field. I tried safe mode again, and suddenly everything was normal -- the signal is working fine, but only in safe mode. Strangely enough, the smaller, older screen is also doing the zap/flicker that the larger nicer one was doing before all this started.

I took my pc to Best Buy last night, telling them I thought my video card was dead or dying and needed to know what I could install. He was able to start my computer up just fine in regular mode. He suggests maybe something just needed to reset. But once I got home and tried them on my monitors again, it's the same problem all over again.

I really don't feel like paying them $80 to just look at my pc right now since I technically don't have that much cash with holidays coming up and all. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I might be able to try? It would be a shame to purchas ea whole new monitor, if it's not core problem.....

*sigh* I know programs, alas not so much about hardware.....

Remsis
11-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi there, it seems like your old monitor broke and now your even older and smaller Monitor doesn't support the resolution you had with the bigger one that's why you can only turn it on in save mode (640x480) or with a newer Monitor like the one they had a Best Buy.

Try to see if this link can help you further...

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1643&page=7

cheekylips
11-28-2006, 12:51 PM
This might sound nuts but apparently it works with old monitors. Get the old moinitor out (the big one) boot up the pc and give the monitor a good whack!
Seriously I laughed at a technician who told me this but I know someone else who had the same problem and got really frustrated and kicked the monitor and whallah!
Obviously your monitor is on the way out but you might get a couple of months out of it this way for the exams etc.
But you got ask yourself a question is it worth the worry that the monitor might go at any time?

MidnightBlue
11-28-2006, 08:27 PM
It was indeed the monitor! I just brought home a 19" LG FlatIron at a very nice Xmas price. Very, very happy! Thank you! :)