PDA

View Full Version : What Is Islam ?

islam
09-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Islam is an Arabic word derived from the root(S.L.M,ã.á.Ó) which has many noble meanings such as peace, purity, soundness, safety, submission and obdeience. As an Islamic term, it has two pricipal meanings:
a)Full submission to the Will of Allah and obdeience to his law.

b)Allah's divine guiding system revealed to mankind along the ages to the Prophets and Messengers and finally, completed in the last revelation , Al-Qur'an, to the last Messenger Muhammad. Salla 'Lahu Alaihi wasallam (Peace Be Upon Him).

1-Islam (is composed of ) three (main) areas: Utterance, faith, and deeds.
2-The utterance was explained.
3-Faith is to believe in Allah, the angels, the Heavenly Scriptures, Prophets and the Last Day.
4-Deeds are : Salat (prayers), Zakat (Alms-giving), Siyam (Fasting), and Hajj (Pilgrimage).

Soulja2Luv
09-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Why is it you must try 2 make all who dont want 2 be muslim convert is their FREE choice inthe muslim world?
sounds like something i would rather avoid personaly!

imran_1980
03-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Its up to you, if you want to come & join the islam then it is good, otherwise good very good also, thanks all .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..... :)

Wallis
03-21-2006, 08:20 PM
In an effort to stimulate discussion and learning, I will share with you why I would not want to convert to Islam.

The Qur'an states quite clearly that Islam is not for everyone, that there are other paths for people to take to God.

But the most important reason--for me, now, as I can only speak for myself--is the emphasis placed on following a law. I usually capitalize the letters (LAW) to distinguish belief or a prescribed ritual that prescribes a means of salvation.

Having examined several religions and sitting down and talking with learned men from each of these religions, I have come to an appreciation of the difference between those people who actually get down to the nuts and bolts of their particular religion and those people who practice the religion (out of habit or as a form of action/belief in their lives).

Those folks that have studied scripture have a particular understanding of the relationship between God and humankind. Most of them realize that the whole spiritual nature of a person must change. Some describe this transformation as becoming an instrument for God's will; some describe a transcendental transformation) The outward show of this internal change (or spiritual change) is recommended but not necessary as God is not fooled by the external deeds for He knows what we're thinking and what is really in our hearts and minds.

For the common worshipper, however, there is a tremendous pressure on doing all of the external things, as if this is enough to let God know that we are on His side, that we love Him, or that we are a truly devout believer. What happens, however, is that the believer has been given a false impression or a false modus operandi of the whole salvation thing.

Following a set of rules (or LAW) is so easy when compared to the commands of God. The whole concept of LAW as prescribed by Islam is very uncomfortable to me, because it dictates to outward action and not to inward thinking. And to be fair, much of Christianity has taken the Gospel and changed it into LAW as well.

Here is what I believe to be God's bottom-line: Love me and love everybody.

For some reason, all the church leaders of all the faiths and religions have translated this very simple command into a set of rules and regulations that will prove--not to God--but to other humans (usually the folks in charge and control) that a believer is really conforming to the concept of being a believer and who is going to be saved and who is not. In other words, all the LAWs set up have been concocted by mankind to control mankind--and in a way to control God.

Whereas, the Gospel (God saves!) is actually an emancipation from all LAW. If the Christian, for example, has the Christ living within him, then the Christ will come out. Similarly, if the Moslem has Allah living within him, then the Allah will come out. We take each different religion and apply the same principle. What happens? We see the love as expressed and as believed by each believer to come out. Judgment and condemnation fall by the wayside. Love of other persons is spontaneous and unconditional. Reaching out to our fellow brothers and sisters is blind of color, race, creed, etc.

And, my bottom-line, if the God of one's faith is truly living in the heart of the believer, there is no need for a set of rules or a LAW, because it will be so obvious to everyone that the God of one's faith is active. God doesn't have to be shown anything. He already knows.

Xplicitband
03-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Which teaching do you follow of Muhammad the years when he was in Mecca or Medina because as I understand it they are as different than night and day, tolerant years and aggressive years, also can you clear this up for me
(Surah 9:5 ) for those who don't know it. Fight and slay the pagans wherever you find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every strategem. If I took that out of context please let me know, but it sounds pretty straight foward.

Wallis
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
The following comments were taken from Understanding the Qur’an (themes and styles) by Muhammad Abdel Haleem:

The Islamic relationship between individuals and nations is one of peace. War is a contingency that becomes necessary at certain times and under certain conditions.

War may become necessary only to stop evil from triumphing in a way that would corrupt the Earth (2:251). For Muslims to participate in war there must be valid justifications, and strict conditions must be fulfilled.

War in Islam as regulated by the Qur’an and hadith has been subject to many distortions by Western scholars and even by some Muslim writers. Nowhere in the Qur’an is changing people’s religion given as a cause for waging war. The Qur’an gives a clear instruction that there is no compulsion in religion (2:256). It states that people will remain different (11:118), they will always have different religions and ways, and this is an unalterable fact (5:48). God tells the Prophet that most people will not believe “even if you are eager that they should” (12:103).

Righteous intention is an essential condition. When fighting takes place, it should be fi sabil illah—in the way of God—as is often repeated in the Qur’an.

Another term which is misunderstood and misrepresented is jihad. This does not mean “Holy War.” “Holy War” does not exist as a term in Arabic. The term, which is specifically used in the Qur’an for fighting, is qital. Jihad can be by argumentation (25:52), financial help, or actual fighting. Jihad is always described in the Qur’an as fi sabil illah. On returning from a military campaign, the Prophet said to his followers: “We have returned from the minor jihad to the major jihad: “the struggle of the individual with his own self.”

Who is to be fought? “Slay them wherever you find them (2:191) and verse 9:5, labeled the Sword Verse.” Both verses have been subjected to decontextualization, misinterpretation, and misrepresentation.

“Those who fight against you” means the actual fighters. Civilians are protected. In fact, the Prophet gave clear instructions not to attack civilians—women, old people, religious people engaged in their worship—nor destroy crops or animals.

The “them” in 2:191 refers to a specific battle situation whereby hardened polytheists in Arabia would accept nothing other than the expulsion of the Muslims or their reversion to paganism. It is an event-specific verse, surrounded by the full picture given in 9:1-15, which gives many reasons for the order to fight such polytheists. It is not a catch-all that gives Muslims the so-called “right” or “order” to willy-nilly slay all non-Muslims. In fact, such an interpretation goes against the teaching that there will be many paths to God, as many people will not chose the more perfect way of Islam.