PDA

View Full Version : Help!

pladecalvo
03-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Can anyone help an old technophobe please?

When I do a Google search for info, I get the Google page up with all the links for the info I've requested. Let's say I see something on Wiki that I want to look at. I click the Wiki link but instead of getting the Wiki page, I get another search engine. If I do the same search on that engine, I get another search engine.......and so on. I can't get any info.......only search engines!

I'm running Windows 98. Any ideas?

Thanks.

ArmySoldier
03-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Can anyone help an old technophobe please?

When I do a Google search for info, I get the Google page up with all the links for the info I've requested. Let's say I see something on Wiki that I want to look at. I click the Wiki link but instead of getting the Wiki page, I get another search engine. If I do the same search on that engine, I get another search engine.......and so on. I can't get any info.......only search engines!

I'm running Windows 98. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Yes...it includes weapons and you getting a computer made after the turn of the century...but that is weird.

pladecalvo
03-16-2007, 11:04 AM
What you have described is being caused by a virus. Your browser has been "hijacked." In my line of business (computer repair and service) this is a common problem. A logical guess is that you have 3 or 4 virus' causing a redirect. It's more of a annoyance than anything else.

Typical symptoms for a browser hijack is: clicking a link in a search engine result, and being redirected to various advertisements that appear to be another search engine -- which they are not.

However, the problem can be resolved by installing and RUNNING an anti-virus and anti-spyware application -- AVG annti-virus, AVG anti-spyware, and Avast4Home (http://www2.webng.com/cityPCservice/index_files/links.htm) anti-virus. You may also want to consider installing a firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) to manage what programs are allowed to access the Internet.

After installing these 3 applications, run a FULL SYSTEM scan. If you are using DSL or cable, disconnect from the internet PRIOR to runing the system scan.

Please post a reply on this Thread describing what virus' were located, after you run the full system scan. Many people will appreciate it.

I have run a scan using ETRUST EZ Antivirus and it says that there are no virus found. Your discription of the symptoms are exactly right. After clicking a link I can see the word 're-direct' at the bottom of the screen.

techy
03-16-2007, 05:27 PM
my pc got infected and crashed about 4 weeks ago. my mcafee wasn't working properly and i couldn't do shit. so i did a recovery and instead of installing mcafee i installed avg free first. it found 9 trojans and 3 viruses. needless to say i'm sticking with avg free. i was running xp pro.

pladecalvo
03-17-2007, 05:17 AM
What you have described is being caused by a virus. Your browser has been "hijacked." In my line of business (computer repair and service) this is a common problem. A logical guess is that you have 3 or 4 virus' causing a redirect. It's more of a annoyance than anything else.

Typical symptoms for a browser hijack is: clicking a link in a search engine result, and being redirected to various advertisements that appear to be another search engine -- which they are not.

However, the problem can be resolved by installing and RUNNING an anti-virus and anti-spyware application -- AVG annti-virus, AVG anti-spyware, and Avast4Home (http://www2.webng.com/cityPCservice/index_files/links.htm) anti-virus. You may also want to consider installing a firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) to manage what programs are allowed to access the Internet.

After installing these 3 applications, run a FULL SYSTEM scan. If you are using DSL or cable, disconnect from the internet PRIOR to runing the system scan.

Please post a reply on this Thread describing what virus' were located, after you run the full system scan. Many people will appreciate it.
A friend had a disc for 'SPY-BOT' which I ran on my computer. It found over 50 problems and fixed them all.

Many thanks for all your help.

techy
03-17-2007, 08:43 AM
spybot is good but is not an antivirus app. download and install the avg free- hell, it only takes a few min and you might be surprized with what it may find. i myself have several anti-spyware and registry cleaner apps which i run and they all find something the other missed!

pladecalvo
03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
spybot is good but is not an antivirus app. download and install the avg free- hell, it only takes a few min and you might be surprized with what it may find. i myself have several anti-spyware and registry cleaner apps which i run and they all find something the other missed!
I spoke too soon! Spybot cleared the problem but as soon as I connected to the internet I got the problem back. The problem with downloading AVG is that, not only am I on dail-up connection but I'm using a radio phone too. I tried to download it from the Grisoft site today and it gave me a download time of 17 hours. I started to download it and after 5 hours I got the message:

Download aborted. The files you are trying to download are corrupted.

Guess I'll just have to but the programme.

techy
03-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't know if having a land line phone would make a difference or not. but dial up definetly sucks. you'd be better off having a friend burn it on cd for you then you run it. if you don't have a cd drive then get out of the prehistoric era and buy a new computer

pladecalvo
03-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't know if having a land line phone would make a difference or not. but dial up definetly sucks. you'd be better off having a friend burn it on cd for you then you run it. if you don't have a cd drive then get out of the prehistoric era and buy a new computer
Land Line!!!! :D :D :D Where I live, swimming pools are more common than land lines. I had to wait 3 years to get a radio phone! :D :D

techy
03-18-2007, 10:14 AM
well the only other thing i can think of for you would be a satelite connection, other than that -give up

captain017
03-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Another good program to use is Ewido: www.ewido.net

You (Or your friend) can download it as a free trial and run the scan. It does a pretty good job.

Also when I first had issues, I went here: http://forums.techguy.org/

They will help you out and try to rid of all the viruses/malware you may have.

Best of luck.