PDA

View Full Version : do misdemeanors (not felonies) have a significant effect on employment options?

bigantfromnyc
05-13-2007, 02:41 PM
im awaiting trial for a misdemanor (dwi) and theres a good chance i will be convicted. does anybody know if this is this going to have a significant impact on whether or not i will be able to find employment in the future?

>>Flyboy<<
05-13-2007, 03:53 PM
If you are in a safety sensitive position or a position requiring a security clearance, there may be a problem...

bigantfromnyc
05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
wat do u mean when u say security clearance

ArmySoldier
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
You obviously don't have one...

KCGirl
05-14-2007, 11:54 PM

I think that means like those jobs where they do an extensive background check such as airports, post office, social security, irs etc, which may affect a misdemeanor however, I have some that are traffic related, most jobs don't fret over traffic concerns, the only misdemeanors they are concerned with is theft, battery, vandilism, and of course that depends on the job. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, just read job specifications they will tell you more specifically.

upstart
09-16-2007, 12:15 PM
You will be convicted of a misdemeanor. The important thing for you is that your conviction is not a crime of
a) violence
b) drugs
c) dishonesty (theft)
e) pattern of lack of control (serveral charges relating to alcohol)

However, it will show up in a records search. You are eligible to get it expunged after 1 year. In many counties, you just fill out a form at the courthouse, and pay $50 if can afford it.. If you are poor, then it is free. It takes 6 months to 1 year for the whole process, then the record will be "sealed" or hidden.

The record is still available to law enforcement, judges, prison officials, and certain government officials that might need to know about it if you get into more trouble in the future. Also, if an private company already has collected the information, sealing your record will not make them erase what they already have. So once the information gets out, it is out forever.

But, again, that is a very minor offense. Once the record is sealed, you do not even have to admit that it ever happened. If your future employer does find out about it, just admit it, explain it, and say it was sealed (if you get it expunged). If you stay honest, the longer you have jobs and work, the less that old misdemeanor will matter when a company does a background search (http://backgroundsearch.com). I don't know what state or city you are in, but you can find out what shows up in How to Do a Free Background Check (http://backgroundsearch.com/Free-Search-Resources/FAQ/free-background-check.html) .