PDA

View Full Version : Attitude Adjustment

Marketer
03-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Hopefully someone can help?

I have been in my profession for over 14 years; starting as a marketing intern all the way to a Marketing Director. I'm currently a Marketing Manager and I love my profession - not necessarily the place I work at. By problem is I all ways seem to get into a situation where my peers and my superior don't particularly like me. I try not project a negative attititude, (at least I can't see it) but it seems that after awhile it is me vs. everyone else. I try to get help from my bosses and they don't want to help.

Does anyone know of any courses or additional readings that help me?

I have prepared for my love for Marketing - experience, MBA, etc...but my attitude (I guess) is holding me back. "Looking for that piece of mind."

Thanks... :(

malcolan
03-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't really have a clear picture of what you mean about an "attitude adjustment", but I have something that I think will help.

If you haven't read it, then get a copy of Dale Carnegie's How to win friends and influence people which was originally published in 1936. It is a must read for anyone in business.

You can also go to courses or seminars based on his work. Just go to
dalecarnegie.com (http://www.dalecarnegie.com/) for more information.

Hope this helps.

:cool:

DryRiverOwl
03-18-2006, 06:52 PM
:) Marketer........... you will find in today's job market that it has become cut throat. That applies from the bosses to the CEO's also. Long ago companies were concerned with their employees, and they were treated with respect. It was a two way street. Alot of bosses today don't give a dam about the people under them and seem to only be interested in those who they can use or step on to get a bit higher on the ladder. I have been in the job force now close to 35+ and its a trend I see along with many I speak with. We are a disposable world now. You will find you spend more time with those you work with then your family. In many ways the people we work with are an extended family. Soooooooo, if you find you are not fitting in maybe its not the right family. A few questions please too if you don't mind? How long have you stayed with a company and how many times have you changed jobs? I ask because I am what is called a "Nester" or someone who tends to stay a long time with a company. Don't kick yourself either ok? The world with jobs today is insane. You have a long way to go and all in life has its purpose too. Be your own best friend, and be true to yourself. Life has a way of working itself out in time!!! :cool:

Marketer
03-19-2006, 07:21 AM
(MALCOLAN)

Tank you for the book and site. I will definitely invest in this book.

I say attutitude adjustment, as I was approached by my superior saying that I need an "attitude adjustment".

I thought, "That he may be right, but my intentions are to be fair - so how do I change my approach?" This is where I'm left to figure out on my own.

Again, thanks for the reading source. :o

Marketer
03-19-2006, 07:48 AM
(DRYRIVEROWL)

I have been with this company for three years in the same postion.

Thank you for those encouraging words. I think your right, we can always sharpen our skills - even socially. But there is point that no matter how much you try to fit in, that maybe, it isn't going to work. And changing yourself to please others most likely won't make me happy as well.

I had a job recruiter tell me that if you haven't had a salary increase after three years, then most likely you wont ever get one, unless you move to another position. And if this is the case, you are not considered of value to the company - time to move on.

This job recruiter had me take a personality test and expressed that personality fit for a job is of great importance to being part of the culture and being happy. I plan on dipping into my savings soon and having this agency help me find an executive position that I blend into. Hopefully accomplishing both 'Peace of Mind' and 'Piece of Cash'.

Again, Thank You :o

DryRiverOwl
03-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Marketer :) .... you will find that working and finding the right job is alot like a good marriage is also.... takes alot of work and the right person or job in your case... value yourself, above all, and never doubt what you can offer a company.. most companies are well all about the MONEY period forget the workers... well they are the "grease" that make its happen too ;) ... make yourself happy, smile and find something that makes your spirit sing!! We spend too much time working not to enjoy our jobs.. if its not full filling then its time to move on... you will find even though its not easy finding that match, its worth every effort you make... because any job we wake up to looking forward to that day makes the day something we enjoy!!! So don't worry about you not fitting ok??? The best and brightest never fit the same old same old anyway :cool: ............ and that took me over 25 years to learn :eek: !!! best of luck and please let us know how you do too!!! dry~