Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Evil Empire Forums > Religion & Philosophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 157 votes, 2.80 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #1331
evileye
Senior Member
 
evileye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,105
evileye has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
Kind of like science, because "God" knows human scientist never give incorect answers.
__________________
We are defined by how we see and interact with others, so others should be defined by how they interact with us.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzsche
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #1332
OneArm
Senior Member
 
OneArm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,392
OneArm has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye View Post
Kind of like science, because "God" knows human scientist never give incorect answers.
The difference between religion and science is, if a theory of science is proven to be wrong, then it's accepted and we move on. It's okay to challenge theories. Religion, it's the opposite. You can't challenge anything, when you do, you are the closed minded one. When something is shown to be wrong, the reason is because you don't believe hard enough.

In short, religion stops you from thinking, science requires that you never stop.
__________________
To Smooth To Be Embarrassed
OneArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #1333
pladecalvo
Senior Member
 
pladecalvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 16,662
pladecalvo is a splendid one to beholdpladecalvo is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneArm View Post
The difference between religion and science is, if a theory of science is proven to be wrong, then it's accepted and we move on. It's okay to challenge theories. Religion, it's the opposite. You can't challenge anything, when you do, you are the closed minded one. When something is shown to be wrong, the reason is because you don't believe hard enough.

In short, religion stops you from thinking, science requires that you never stop.
Science is certain of nothing and requires proof of everything. Religion is certain of everything and requires proof of nothing
__________________
Jesus is UNBELIEVABLE!!

"Fear paints pictures of ghosts and hangs them in the gallery of ignorance." ]Robert Green Ingersoll

Last edited by pladecalvo; 11-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.
pladecalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #1334
evileye
Senior Member
 
evileye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,105
evileye has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Science is certain of nothing and requires proof of everything. Religion is certain of everything and requires proof of nothing
I think that depends on the person, I personaly try to see things from others points os view and I do not claim to have the only truth. More people should look at all the information at hand and make up their own minds instead of just excepting what has been told to them by others. That goes for religion and science.

The great thing about science is if you can prove it wrong eventually people will come around.
__________________
We are defined by how we see and interact with others, so others should be defined by how they interact with us.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzsche
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #1335
Cusco
Senior Member
 
Cusco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englewood Co
Posts: 2,512
Cusco has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

And when did you start this thought process?


Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye View Post
, I personaly try to see things from others points of view.
__________________
"Philosopher Xenophenes, who said, ................."If cattle and lions and horses had hands and could paint... horses would depict their
gods as horses, .....and cattle would depict their gods as cattle, ........and lions would depict their gods as lions."........ "Our gods," he
concludes, "reflect our prejudices and our environments... gods are a delusion rather than a reality. We make them in our own image."."
Cusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #1336
evileye
Senior Member
 
evileye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,105
evileye has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
And when did you start this thought process?
When I studied Jainism. Because my view is not the same as yours does not mean I do not see validity in what you say. Some people think that everyone who disagrees with them is wrong, I am not one of those people.

When is the last time you gave any thought to the idea you could be wrong? I admit me veiw on reality could be fundamentaly wrong, do you even entertain the concept you could be in error?

Everything we beleive is tainted by our perspectives and experiences. Any one who claims to be absolute in the validity of there beliefs is foolish to say least. Atheist and theist for the most part are far to self absorbed to even try to see from anothers prospective.
__________________
We are defined by how we see and interact with others, so others should be defined by how they interact with us.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzsche
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #1337
Cusco
Senior Member
 
Cusco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englewood Co
Posts: 2,512
Cusco has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

__________________
"Philosopher Xenophenes, who said, ................."If cattle and lions and horses had hands and could paint... horses would depict their
gods as horses, .....and cattle would depict their gods as cattle, ........and lions would depict their gods as lions."........ "Our gods," he
concludes, "reflect our prejudices and our environments... gods are a delusion rather than a reality. We make them in our own image."."
Cusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #1338
Cusco
Senior Member
 
Cusco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englewood Co
Posts: 2,512
Cusco has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

__________________
"Philosopher Xenophenes, who said, ................."If cattle and lions and horses had hands and could paint... horses would depict their
gods as horses, .....and cattle would depict their gods as cattle, ........and lions would depict their gods as lions."........ "Our gods," he
concludes, "reflect our prejudices and our environments... gods are a delusion rather than a reality. We make them in our own image."."
Cusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #1339
Cusco
Senior Member
 
Cusco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englewood Co
Posts: 2,512
Cusco has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

__________________
"Philosopher Xenophenes, who said, ................."If cattle and lions and horses had hands and could paint... horses would depict their
gods as horses, .....and cattle would depict their gods as cattle, ........and lions would depict their gods as lions."........ "Our gods," he
concludes, "reflect our prejudices and our environments... gods are a delusion rather than a reality. We make them in our own image."."
Cusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #1340
evileye
Senior Member
 
evileye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,105
evileye has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
Sorry but I can not tell what she is holding?
__________________
We are defined by how we see and interact with others, so others should be defined by how they interact with us.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzsche
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Copyright 2005 Evil Empire