Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Evil Empire Forums > Politics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.17 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
DonH

DonH has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default Any adults left in Washington?

Would you be surprised to learn that if we raised the federal income tax rates on the so-called rich to the levels desired by the Obama administration that it has less than a 10 % impact on the annual defecit? To listen to the politicians one would think that all we need to do is take more money from the wealthy and all will be well. There is nothing further from the truth. And now we are more polorized as a nation than any time in my memory. We need to wake up to the real fiscal cliff and it isnt the one the politicians are talking about. Keep an eye on Europe. Thats where we are heading. All of this BS we hear now from our politicians will pale in comparison to the crisis this nation faces if we dont wake up. We all must make sacrifices or they will be thrust upon us in the worst way. I am truly worried about the world my children and grandchildren will face.
DonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Sapphire

Sapphire recently placed 2nd in a local hot wings-eating contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH View Post
Would you be surprised to learn that if we raised the federal income tax rates on the so-called rich to the levels desired by the Obama administration that it has less than a 10 % impact on the annual defecit? To listen to the politicians one would think that all we need to do is take more money from the wealthy and all will be well. There is nothing further from the truth. And now we are more polorized as a nation than any time in my memory. We need to wake up to the real fiscal cliff and it isnt the one the politicians are talking about. Keep an eye on Europe. Thats where we are heading. All of this BS we hear now from our politicians will pale in comparison to the crisis this nation faces if we dont wake up. We all must make sacrifices or they will be thrust upon us in the worst way. I am truly worried about the world my children and grandchildren will face.
People wake up!

Finally, someone with common sense. Thank you for your post. Welcome to backpage forums. Hope to hear more from you.

John 8:47 - "He who is of God hears Godís words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.Ē
-
"True Believers never, ever seek the support of any atheist or unbeliever's interpretation of truth." - Sapphire

"I will not dignify an accusation or a mocker with a reply." - Sapphire
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
DonH

Default and furthermore

This whole "fair share" fiasco is a bunch of nonsense when you examine the big picture. I'm afraid that it will be unfortunate events that result in real change and not the clever soundbites that are used to win elections. Everyone in Washington knows what has to be done to change course but no one has the courage to speak honestly with the American citizens. While Mitt Romney won't win any awards for his choice of words, its hard to argue with the position that as more people rely on the government for basic needs, they will continue to vote for those that they perceive as sympathetic to their plight.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
hrdguera
Bitch

hrdguera recently placed 2nd in a local hot wings-eating contest

Quote:
This whole "fair share" fiasco is a bunch of nonsense when you examine the big picture. I'm afraid that it will be unfortunate events that result in real change and not the clever soundbites that are used to win elections. Everyone in Washington knows what has to be done to change course but no one has the courage to speak honestly with the American citizens. While Mitt Romney won't win any awards for his choice of words, its hard to argue with the position that as more people rely on the government for basic needs, they will continue to vote for those that they perceive as sympathetic to their plight.
The winners pandered to the lower and middle class by making the able the enemy, in other words, they promoted class warfare to win an election.
They did this with full knowledge that even if they taxed 100% of the able earners; it still wouldn't satisfy the raging debt. Plus, as you know, the top 1% already pay 39% of all the taxes, so what really is their "fair share?"
hrdguera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
DonH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdguera View Post
The winners pandered to the lower and middle class by making the able the enemy, in other words, they promoted class warfare to win an election.
They did this with full knowledge that even if they taxed 100% of the able earners; it still wouldn't satisfy the raging debt. Plus, as you know, the top 1% already pay 39% of all the taxes, so what really is their "fair share?"
And in my view their approach made it practically impossible for cooler heads to prevail post election. With all of the demonization that has occured, the divide in Washington has never been greater. I dont see anyone willing to reach across the aisle to work on real solutions. It's very sad. I know in my own family, comments are now made about successful people as if they are villains to be despised. My Dad must be rolling over in his grave.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
hrdguera
Bitch

Quote:
And in my view their approach made it practically impossible for cooler heads to prevail post election. With all of the demonization that has occured, the divide in Washington has never been greater. I dont see anyone willing to reach across the aisle to work on real solutions. It's very sad. I know in my own family, comments are now made about successful people as if they are villains to be despised. My Dad must be rolling over in his grave.

That is the beginning of the end when success is considered something bad.

Last edited by hrdguera; 11-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
DonH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdguera View Post
That is the beginning of the end when success is considered something bad.
I happen to own a business that is totally dependant on business from successful, two income earner families. I was hopeful that we might see some signs from this election that people had an apetite for some serious change. Knowing where we stand now, I need to give some serious thought to selling before the inevitable happens. My family thinks that I am that crazy brother when I talk about keeping one eye on Europe in order to see where we are heading. They are of the view that, if only the Republicans would work with the President, all would be well. And unfortunately, apparently the majority of Americans would prefer to stay the course. There are some days when I feel like we are dancing on the Titanic.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
hrdguera
Bitch

Quote:
I happen to own a business that is totally dependant on business from successful, two income earner families. I was hopeful that we might see some signs from this election that people had an apetite for some serious change. Knowing where we stand now, I need to give some serious thought to selling before the inevitable happens. My family thinks that I am that crazy brother when I talk about keeping one eye on Europe in order to see where we are heading. They are of the view that, if only the Republicans would work with the President, all would be well. And unfortunately, apparently the majority of Americans would prefer to stay the course. There are some days when I feel like we are dancing on the Titanic.
Well, guess what? That ship has already sunk.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
pgh69

pgh69 always pays their child support on time

Quote:
I was hopeful that we might see some signs from this election that people had an apetite for some serious change.
What was the "serious change" that you were expecting from the Romney administration?

Quote:
My family thinks that I am that crazy brother when I talk about keeping one eye on Europe in order to see where we are heading.
What are the similarities between the US and the EU as you see it? Any significant differences?

Quote:
And in my view their approach made it practically impossible for cooler heads to prevail post election.
Who are the "cooler heads" to whom you are referring?

The late, great Roger Ebert
pgh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
DonH

[quote=pgh69;1227009]What was the "serious change" that you were expecting from the Romney administration? Examination of our federal budget and an earnest attempt at entitlement reform.

What are the similarities between the US and the EU as you see it? Any significant differences? ? Not an expert on European economy but I have seen and read enough to appreciate the fact that entitlementís are in need of serious reform and the beneficiaries of same are deeply entrenched. I would have actually preferred Ryan at the top of the ticket. While he comes across as a bit of a numbers nerd, he seems to have a good grasp of the problems with the federal deficit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: