Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Evil Empire Forums > Religion & Philosophy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 342 votes, 4.58 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #6831
evileye

evileye has one green dot.  Good for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
1 Timothy 6:3-10

New Century Version

False Teaching and True Riches

3 Anyone who has a different teaching does not agree with the true teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that shows the true way to serve God. 4 This person is full of pride and understands nothing, but is sick with a love for arguing and fighting about words. This brings jealousy, fighting, speaking against others, evil mistrust, 5 and constant quarrels from those who have evil minds and have lost the truth. They think that serving God is a way to get rich.
6 Serving God does make us very rich, if we are satisfied with what we have. 7 We brought nothing into the world, so we can take nothing out. 8 But, if we have food and clothes, we will be satisfied with that. 9 Those who want to become rich bring temptation to themselves and are caught in a trap. They want many foolish and harmful things that ruin and destroy people. 10 The love of money causes all kinds of evil. Some people have left the faith, because they wanted to get more money, but they have caused themselves much sorrow.
That is very to the point.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzsche
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #6832
Sapphire

Sapphire recently placed 2nd in a local hot wings-eating contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye View Post
That is very to the point.
Yes, it's very to the point. Money isn't evil. The LOVE of it is.

John 8:47 - "He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”
-
"True Believers never, ever seek the support of any atheist or unbeliever's interpretation of truth." - Sapphire

"I will not dignify an accusation or a mocker with a reply." - Sapphire
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #6833
Sapphire

Revelation 22:13-20

New King James Version

13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.” 14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.
16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

A Warning

18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I Am Coming Quickly

20 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.”
Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!

John 8:47 - "He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”
-
"True Believers never, ever seek the support of any atheist or unbeliever's interpretation of truth." - Sapphire

Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #6834
Sapphire

Default Wisdom Hunters - Pride Humbled

Pride Humbled

“Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything He does is right and all His ways are just. And those who walk in pride He is able to humble” (Daniel 4:37).

Pride will eventually give way to humility. It may not happen overnight. It may have to follow a painful process, because pride can be very, very stubborn. Like an embedded splinter deep in the flesh of your foot, it is hard to remove. You cannot remove it alone, and there is constant throbbing and pain until it is extracted.

This is the plight of pride. Pain and suffering are its cohorts. Pride provides a false sense of security. Spiritually minded people know it is only a matter of time until a fall, as pride will catch up with you. Humility was once a staple in your spiritual diet, but success has squelched your humility and subtly replaced it with pride. Authority without accountability generates pride.

The more authority you possess, the more you are required to submit to accountability. Otherwise, you cannot handle this freewheeling power. Your behavior defaults to pride without the checkmate of humility. This is true in relationships, business, ministry, and churches. Beware of obsessing over control.

Paranoia is an application of pride. You are fearful of losing control. It is better to hand over control than to lose control. Humility gives control, while pride grasps for it. So be open and humble about your insecurities. We are all insecure to some degree. Humility builds security, and pride tears it down. The humble have nothing to hide. So root out pride, replacing it with humility.

The process of pride’s removal begins with submission to Christ. It is acknowledging His lordship and ownership over your life. He is in control. He is large and in charge. Nothing in your life has sneaked up on God. He can be trusted. He holds your life, family, health, and career in His hand. You start by humbly bowing to God with your head and heart. He is to be feared and loved.

You have the awesome opportunity to worship and adore Him. When you walk with God, you walk in humility. Pride cannot coexist in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Pride is extinguished in the presence of Jesus. Pride is like a roach lurking in the dark recesses of your heart. The Holy Spirit’s light reveals pride and convicts you during times of prayer and Scripture meditation.

The second offense to pride is praying people. Ask people to pray for humility to infiltrate and occupy your life. You want the occupation of humility on the soil of your heart and mind. Be transparent with others about your sins and shortcomings. Talk about them with the motive for change.

Humble yourself, and trust God to humble others. It is easy to recognize pride in others while it is still looming in your spirit. Run from spiritual pride. It is the worst kind. It is insidious. It is self-righteousness in nature, and it chokes the Holy Spirit. Humility grows in an environment of honesty, openness, prayer, and change. Be a change agent on behalf of the humble. Humble pride!

“All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, ‘God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.’ Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time” (1 Peter 5:5–6).

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me walk in humility of heart and mind. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Readings: Exodus 10:3; 2 Kings 22:19; Romans 12:3; Philippians 2:1–11

-

Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #6835
Sapphire

New Evidence of Noah's Biblical Flood

The famed archaeologist who discovered the Titanic believes he may have proof that one of the Bible's biggest stories was, in fact, real.

Link:
Discovery that supports great flood

-

Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #6836
Morbidus

Morbidus has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default Don't Always Believe Who Speaks First

Quote:

The famed archaeologist who discovered the Titanic believes he may have proof that one of the Bible's biggest stories was, in fact, real.

Link:
Point 1: I don't think we should take the opinions of Daniel on Babylon at face value. Enemy opinions are not necessarily factual.

Point 2: I would also consider the source of this article. I don't know for sure-but I doubt a "World Flood" was part of Ballard's premise. I watched a PBS special on that subject a few years ago. He believed in "a flood" allright which was specific to that region which was due to geologic activity causing a collapse at the Bosporus, which then flooded the low-lying area. That was the flood he was referring to-not a world-wide occurance. Yet which plausibly may have been the premise for the Genesis story. On the other hand it is just as plausible that the eruption of the island of Thera-near Crete somewhat earlier-might have loosed the underlying rock. Others say that that same eruption might have been the inspiration for the Exodus "plauges". Let's not jump to conclusions please.

Last edited by Morbidus; 12-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Morbidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #6837
pladecalvo

pladecalvo is a splendid one to beholdpladecalvo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Link:
No shit-for-brains. Read a reliable source.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...t-Ballard.html

"Fear paints pictures of ghosts and hangs them in the gallery of ignorance." ]Robert Green Ingersoll
pladecalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #6838
pladecalvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbidus View Post
Point 2: I would also consider the source of this article. I don't know for sure-but I doubt a "World Flood" was part of Ballard's premise.
Quite! It's just the usual tripe of Christians desperately clutching at straws to support their belief in bronze-age mythology. In fact, Ballard mentions nothing more than that there might be evidence of a devastating, localised flood in the area. That there have been massive localised floods in many places throughout history is not disputed.

Ballard is doing nothing more than following up a hypothesis put forward by two scientists that there was a large local flood in that area. There is no mention of any biblical world-wide flood 'a la Noah' nor has Ballard claimed to have found evidence for such an event. I'm afraid this is just another example of a Christian looney (Christiane Amanpour) trying to justify her belief in mythology.

"Fear paints pictures of ghosts and hangs them in the gallery of ignorance." ]Robert Green Ingersoll

Last edited by pladecalvo; 12-18-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #6839
evileye

evileye has one green dot.  Good for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Quite! It's just the usual tripe of Christians desperately clutching at straws to support their belief in bronze-age mythology. In fact, Ballard mentions nothing more than that there might be evidence of a devastating, localised flood in the area. That there have been massive localised floods in many places throughout history is not disputed.

Ballard is doing nothing more than following up a hypothesis put forward by two scientists that there was a large local flood in that area. There is no mention of any biblical world-wide flood 'a la Noah' nor has Ballard claimed to have found evidence for such an event. I'm afraid this is just another example of a Christian looney (Christiane Amanpour) trying to justify her belief in mythology.
Just a thought, the flood was more than likely reffered to as flooding the world because it flooded the known world for people who recored it and then was embelished over time.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzsche
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #6840
pladecalvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye View Post
Just a thought, the flood was more than likely reffered to as flooding the world because it flooded the known world for people who recored it and then was embelished over time.
Could well be. It still makes the Bible wrong.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: