Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Evil Empire Forums > Religion & Philosophy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 340 votes, 4.58 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #6851
UnknownNobody

UnknownNobody has one green dot.  Good for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by universecreator View Post
Uc- Consistant Shappire, your as bad as I am, me quoting my Shakespeare and you with this C Spurgeon (1892). Quoting people from old times. Right now I study the sonnets. Please tell me you have read your Bible. All the Bible?
Say universecreator, come over to the GAY section and quote The Bard for us, WE appreciate that particular form of edification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by universecreator View Post
Uc- Thank you for your response. As close to the word of God as you say you are, you do not seem very nice to me. The words in this book are also of joy and kindness. Perhaps you should read it again with another eye and not a hand used to slap you enemies, what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
Jesus said, "Judge not lest you be judged." And I advise you to take it seriously. And so...do NOT assume you know anything about me. Rivers and Waterfalls is my thread. I will post the Word of God in it. If you don't like what I post...do NOT read it.
If Sapphire really followed the admonition "Judge not lest you be judged." she just might find a more receptive audience. Sadly it just isn't going to happen.

I'm sure that she would have made a most excellent member of the Taliban if she'd been born male in an Islamic country. I just feel fortunate that the wacky christians don't kill on us non-believers here in the west, like they do over there.

We love her nevertheless!

Last edited by UnknownNobody; 01-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.
UnknownNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #6852
universecreator

universecreator has one green dot.  Good for them!
Default Not y cup of tea

Uc- Thank you for your response. Yes I looked at this thread. It is not my cup of tea. The story continues
universecreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #6853
Sapphire

Sapphire recently placed 2nd in a local hot wings-eating contest
Default Charles Spurgeon's Devotionals

"I have prayed for thee."Luke 22:32

How encouraging is the thought of the Redeemer's never- ceasing intercession for us. When we pray, he pleads for us; and when we are not praying, he is advocating our cause, and by his supplications shielding us from unseen dangers. Notice the word of comfort addressed to Peter--"Simon, Simon, Satan hath desired to have you that he may sift you as wheat; but"--what? "But go and pray for yourself." That would be good advice, but it is not so written. Neither does he say, "But I will keep you watchful, and so you shall be preserved." That were a great blessing. No, it is, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not." We little know what we owe to our Saviour's prayers. When we reach the hill-tops of heaven, and look back upon all the way whereby the Lord our God hath led us, how we shall praise him who, before the eternal throne, undid the mischief which Satan was doing upon earth. How shall we thank him because he never held his peace, but day and night pointed to the wounds upon his hands, and carried our names upon his breastplate! Even before Satan had begun to tempt, Jesus had forestalled him and entered a plea in heaven. Mercy outruns malice. Mark, he does not say, "Satan hath desired to have you." He checks Satan even in his very desire, and nips it in the bud. He does not say, "But I have desired to pray for you." No, but "I have prayed for you: I have done it already; I have gone to court and entered a counter-plea even before an accusation is made." O Jesus, what a comfort it is that thou hast pleaded our cause against our unseen enemies; counter-mined their mines, and unmasked their ambushes. Here is a matter for joy, gratitude, hope, and confidence.

-

John 8:47 - "He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”
-
"True Believers never, ever seek the support of any atheist or unbeliever's interpretation of truth." - Sapphire

"I will not dignify an accusation or a mocker with a reply." - Sapphire
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #6854
Wallis
BPMF!

Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!Wallis has a lot of green dots.  Look at all those green dots!  Wow!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
"I have prayed for thee."Luke 22:32

How encouraging is the thought of the Redeemer's never- ceasing intercession for us. When we pray, he pleads for us; and when we are not praying, he is advocating our cause, and by his supplications shielding us from unseen dangers. Notice the word of comfort addressed to Peter--"Simon, Simon, Satan hath desired to have you that he may sift you as wheat; but"--what? "But go and pray for yourself." That would be good advice, but it is not so written. Neither does he say, "But I will keep you watchful, and so you shall be preserved." That were a great blessing. No, it is, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not." We little know what we owe to our Saviour's prayers. When we reach the hill-tops of heaven, and look back upon all the way whereby the Lord our God hath led us, how we shall praise him who, before the eternal throne, undid the mischief which Satan was doing upon earth. How shall we thank him because he never held his peace, but day and night pointed to the wounds upon his hands, and carried our names upon his breastplate! Even before Satan had begun to tempt, Jesus had forestalled him and entered a plea in heaven. Mercy outruns malice. Mark, he does not say, "Satan hath desired to have you." He checks Satan even in his very desire, and nips it in the bud. He does not say, "But I have desired to pray for you." No, but "I have prayed for you: I have done it already; I have gone to court and entered a counter-plea even before an accusation is made." O Jesus, what a comfort it is that thou hast pleaded our cause against our unseen enemies; counter-mined their mines, and unmasked their ambushes. Here is a matter for joy, gratitude, hope, and confidence.

-
Charles H. Spurgeon, an English Calvinist preacher. The above is taken from his works written in the latter 19th century.

Charles Spurgeon thought through his theology for himself. Taking over ideas he had not sifted and mastered was foreign to him. When Spurgeon reached unconventional conclusions, he did not shrink from implementing them, even when this was quite difficult.

Baptists had a long tradition of ordaining ministers, for example, but Spurgeon managed to get his church to omit this step—he never was ordained. He campaigned arduously to do without the customary title, Reverend, and he eventually succeeded in replacing it with Pastor.

Features of His Theology
Spurgeon considered his objections to ordination and the title Reverend as being scripturally based, a constant feature of his theology. As he put it, “I like to read my Bible so as never to have to blink when I approach a text. I like to have a theology which enables me to read [the Bible] right through from beginning to end, and to say, ‘I am as pleased with that text as I am with the other.’ ”

Next, Spurgeon’s theology was all the more radically biblical for being unsystematic. In the late 1850s he tried to dovetail biblical teaching on human responsibility with his doctrine of election. By 1860 he became convinced it couldn’t be done; something had to yield. Since both doctrines were woven into the fabric of his Bible, however, Spurgeon decided to not sacrifice either. Instead, he sacrificed the possibility of a thoroughly systematic theology.

Spurgeon expressed his approach in a forthright introduction to a sermon on election (no. 303):

“It has been my earnest endeavor ever since I have preached the Word, never to keep back a single doctrine which I believe to be taught of God. It is time that we had done with the old and rusty systems that have so long curbed the freeness of religious speech. The Arminian trembles to go an inch beyond Arminius or Wesley, and many a Calvinist refers to John Gill or John Calvin as any ultimate authority. It is time that the systems were broken up, and that there was sufficient grace in all our hearts to believe everything taught in God’s Word, whether it was taught by either of these men or not.… If God teaches it, it is enough. If it is not in the Word, away with it! Away with it! But if it be in the Word, agreeable or disagreeable, systematic or disorderly, I believe it.”

This was not a momentary conviction. Some years later Spurgeon said, “Angels may, perhaps, be systematic divines; for men it should be enough to follow the Word of God, let its teachings wind as they may.”

Finally, the basic, organizing principle of Spurgeon’s theology was not rational but spiritual. Some of his early published sermons, including Number 1 on the immutability of God, show a philosophical approach. But this disappeared by 1860 (along with his attempts to systematize his theology), leaving the field free for his profound spiritual experience to find deeper expression.

William Robertson Nicoll, an influential Nonconformist newspaper editor who knew Spurgeon’s sermons about as well as anyone, perceptively bracketed Spurgeon with John Bunyan as the two greatest evangelical mystics. Many of the finest passages in Spurgeon’s sermons draw on spiritual exploration into God’s mysteries that his theological mind was unable to map. Robertson Nicoll quoted a memorable example from an 1886 sermon on “The Three Hours’ Darkness”:

“This darkness tells us that the Passion is a great mystery into which we cannot pry. I try to explain it as a substitution, and I feel that where the language of Scripture is explicit, I may and must be explicit too. But yet I feel that the idea of substitution does not cover the whole of the matter, and that no human conception can completely grasp the whole of the dread mystery. It was wrought in darkness because the full, far-reaching meaning and result cannot be beheld of finite mind.

“Tell me the death of the Lord Jesus was a grand example of self-sacrifice—I can see that and much more. Tell me it was a wondrous obedience to the will of God—I can see that and much more. Tell me it was the bearing of what ought to have been borne by myriads of sinners of the human race as the chastisement of their Sin—I can see that, and found my best hope upon it. But do not tell me that this is all that is in the Cross. No, great as this would be, there is much more in the Redeemer’s death. God veiled the Cross in darkness, and in darkness much of its deep meaning lies, not because God would not reveal it, but because we have not capacity to discern it all.”

These adjectives, then—biblical, unsystematic, and spiritual—characterize Spurgeon’s theology.

http://www.ctlibrary.com/ch/1991/issue29/2928.html

Another Moonie--or maybe the role model Rev Moon copied.
Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #6855
Sapphire

Romans 1:18-32

New King James Version

God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness

18. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19. because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21. because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22. Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23. and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25. who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29. being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30. backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31. undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; 32. who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

-

John 8:47 - "He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”
-
"True Believers never, ever seek the support of any atheist or unbeliever's interpretation of truth." - Sapphire

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #6856
Sapphire

1 Thessalonians 5:22-24

New King James Version

22. Abstain from every form of evil.

Blessing and Admonition

23. Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.

-

Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #6857
Sapphire

Psalm 2

New King James Version

The Messiah’s Triumph and Kingdom

1. Why do the nations rage,
And the people plot a vain thing?
2. The kings of the earth set themselves,
And the rulers take counsel together,
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
3. “Let us break Their bonds in pieces
And cast away Their cords from us.”

4. He who sits in the heavens shall laugh;
The Lord shall hold them in derision.
5. Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,
And distress them in His deep displeasure:
6. “Yet I have set My King
On My holy hill of Zion.”

7. “I will declare the decree:
The Lord has said to Me,
‘You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.
8. Ask of Me, and I will give You
The nations for Your inheritance,
And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
9. You shall break them with a rod of iron;
You shall dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel.’”

10. Now therefore, be wise, O kings;
Be instructed, you judges of the earth.
11. Serve the Lord with fear,
And rejoice with trembling.
12. Kiss the Son, lest He be angry,
And you perish in the way,
When His wrath is kindled but a little.
Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.

-

-

Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #6858
Sapphire

Default Wisdom Hunters - Faith Versus Fear

Faith Versus Fear

”When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?” (Psalm 56:3-4)

Fear is a formidable foe of faith. It lurks about, looking for ways to lead us into distrust of our Lord. Fear is subtle with its sneak attacks on our attitudes and bold in its frontal barrage on our beliefs. Fear always fights back, even when we extinguish it for a time with our total trust in God. And it doesn’t let up until we get to heaven. Fear is like fire ants. You can eliminate their unholy mound with a baby powder-like deterrent, but they regroup and rebuild nearby.

Trust in the Lord is the terminator of fear, but fear seems to recreate itself with whatever appendage of doubt is left. It grows within the next uncertain circumstance that comes our way. Fear thinks it has us in check on the chessboard of our life, but the truth is Jesus checkmated fear on the cross. Now it is up to us to appropriate His triumph by trusting in God.

There are many times when we are in transition from fear to faith. It’s in the transition of trust in God that our cares co-mingle with Christ’s care. There is a holy tension that transpires in our transition into trust. It is in this dawn of trust that light gradually overcomes darkness. Faith dissolves doubts as the sun drives away the mist. Your mind may be a little murky, but you renew your thinking (Romans 12:2) with the truth that God is ever present. Your confidence may be crumbling, but you keep your eyes on your Savior. Your prayers may be clumsy, but you still cling to Christ. Your relationships may be reluctant, but you rely on the Lord. Use this transition from fear to faith to grow your mercy and compassion. Indeed, doubting can drive us to God, and it grows us into more patient and humble human beings. It strengthens our trust and makes us hold faster to heaven. Hope trusts in this transition from fear to faith.

Moreover, mortal man has not made a permanent impression on the saints of God. Immortal and Almighty God is your new insignia. Embedded on the coins of your character is the faith-filled inscription, “In God I Trust.” Followers of Jesus have the eternal seal of their Savior as their newfound identity (Ephesians 4:30). Do not allow the patterns of your old life to feed any fading fears in your new one (Romans 6:6). The fears of your proud past have been replaced with faith, love, and hope in your humble here and now. Faith has banished fear.

Therefore, you can continually celebrate. Praise points you to Providence. After all, it’s all about Him. This is why faith brings forth praise. When you trust, you can’t help but sing from your soul. Indeed, faith in the Lord facilitates praise and is a product of praise. It is in our praise of God that our fears fade and our faith flourishes. So praise Him, trust Him, and fear no one. No one can take from you what you have already given to Him. Faith is a fear-killer; it overcomes.

-

-

Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #6859
Sapphire

Default Wisdom Hunters - Love Avoids Boasting

Love Avoids Boasting

Love does not boast. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Lovely people boast about the greatness, the goodness and the glory of God. Yes, love looks up to the Lord in gratitude and does not look down on others. There is no bragging about self, only exalting Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. Love looks for ways to lift up those struck down by suffering or lost in sin without drawing attention to its heroics. People who love understand that wisdom, success and wealth come from God. Bragging has no place in the presence of love.

Love does not force its agenda, rather works to collaborate and seek what’s best for all parties. For example in marriage, don’t demand your own way, rather in love take time to value each another’s ideas and desires. If organization is important to your spouse, perhaps you schedule a day once a quarter to clear out the clutter in an area of your house. Furthermore, money management may be a fear of your mate’s, if so calendar time weekly to plan your finances.

This is what the Lord says:“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches. (Jeremiah 9:23)

Love does not have to feel superior to be valued. On the contrary your modest assessment of yourself is what leads to mutual respect that validates love. Keep your ego in check by recalling how far God has brought you, not forgetting how far you have to go. You are not God’s gift to the world--that role is reserved for Jesus. Love does not have to brag, because it is secure in Christ’s love. Your part is to lay low, loving others and God’s part is to promote you in His time.

Beware of becoming a legend in your own mind, only the Lord deserves a legendary legacy. The more you grow in your capacity to love, the lower you go in needing to feel important. The ability to love is reward enough without having to be recognized. Your love will unify those you serve, because you are not worried about getting credit for the cool outcomes. Boast only about God’s faithfulness to answer prayer and extend His grace and favor. Great gain is to love in Jesus’ name.

If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:3)

Prayer: Heavenly Father give me the security and courage to boast in Christ and not in myself. In Jesus' name, amen.

Related Readings: Hosea 12:8; Obediah 1:12; 2 Corinthains 12:5-9; 2 Timothy 3:2

-

-

Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #6860
Sapphire

Smile

John 3:16

New King James Version

16.For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Attached Images

-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: